How to Compare Cruise Companies by Revenue and What It Means for Your Vacation
Cruising is one of the most popular and enjoyable ways to travel the world. You can visit multiple destinations, enjoy the onboard amenities and entertainment, and meet new people. But how do you compare cruise companies by revenue and what does it mean for your vacation? Revenue is one of the key indicators of the performance and success of a cruise company. It shows how much money the cruise company makes from its operations and activities. It also reflects how much value the cruise company provides to its customers and shareholders.
But what are the revenues of the leading cruise companies in the world? According to Statista1, a leading provider of market and consumer data, the worldwide cruise company revenue in 2021 was as follows:
- Carnival Corporation & plc: $8.83 billion
- Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD: $5.05 billion
- Norwegian Cruise Line: $3.28 billion
- MSC Cruises: $2.26 billion
- Others: $2.23 billion
As you can see, Carnival Corporation & plc had by far the highest revenue among cruise companies, followed by Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD and Norwegian Cruise Line. These three cruise companies account for 85% of the global cruise market. They each own a portfolio of brands that cater to different segments of the market, such as luxury, premium, contemporary, and niche.
But what are the advantages and disadvantages of choosing a cruise company with a high or low revenue? Here are some of the pros and cons of each option:
Pros of choosing a cruise company with a high revenue
- You can benefit from the economies of scale and scope that a large cruise company can offer. You can enjoy lower prices, more discounts and deals, more choices and options, and more services and facilities.
- You can rely on the experience and expertise that a large cruise company has in the industry. You can expect high-quality standards, safety measures, customer service, and innovation.
- You can join a large and diverse community of travelers who share your interests and preferences. You can meet new friends, join clubs and groups, and participate in social events.
Cons of choosing a cruise company with a high revenue
- You may face more competition and crowding when booking or traveling with a large cruise company. You may have to deal with higher demand, limited availability, longer waiting times, and less personal attention.
- You may lose some of the uniqueness and authenticity that a smaller cruise company can offer. You may have to follow more rules and regulations, conform to more standards and expectations, and compromise on some aspects of your vacation.
- You may miss some of the opportunities and advantages that a smaller cruise company can offer. You may have to settle for less variety, flexibility, customization, and innovation.
Pros of choosing a cruise company with a low revenue
- You can enjoy more variety, flexibility, customization, and innovation that a smaller cruise company can offer. You can choose from more niche and specialized cruises, such as adventure, cultural, or wellness cruises. You can also tailor your vacation to your specific needs and preferences.
- You can experience more uniqueness and authenticity that a smaller cruise company can offer. You can visit more off-the-beaten-path destinations, enjoy more local cuisine and culture, and interact more with the locals.
- You can benefit from more personal attention and service that a smaller cruise company can offer. You can have more direct contact with the staff, receive more individual care and assistance, and feel more valued and appreciated.
Cons of choosing a cruise company with a low revenue
- You may have to pay more for your vacation when booking or traveling with a smaller cruise company. You may have to deal with higher prices, fewer discounts and deals, more hidden fees or extra charges, and less value for money.
- You may have to compromise on some aspects of your vacation when traveling with a smaller cruise company. You may have to settle for less amenities, facilities, entertainment, and activities. You may also have to face more risks, challenges, and uncertainties.
- You may have to deal with more isolation and loneliness when traveling with a smaller cruise company. You may have fewer opportunities to meet new people, join clubs or groups, or participate in social events.
Choosing a cruise company for your next vacation is not an easy decision. There are many factors to consider, such as the destinations, itineraries, ships, cabins, prices, and reviews. However, one of the most important factors is the revenue of the cruise company.
The revenue of a cruise company indicates how successful and competitive it is in the market. It also reflects how much value it provides to its customers and shareholders. A higher revenue means a higher reputation and popularity among travelers.
However, choosing a cruise company with a high or low revenue has its pros and cons. You have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of each option and decide what suits you best.
If you are interested in learning more about the revenues of cruise companies and how to choose the best one for your next vacation, check out these resources:
- Global: market share of cruise companies 2021 | Statista
- The 15 Largest Cruise Lines In The World – Zippia
- How Much Money Cruise Lines Make (Per Passenger, Per Day, Per Year)