How to Compare Cruise Companies by Size and What It Means for Your Vacation
Cruising is one of the most popular and enjoyable ways to travel the world. You can visit multiple destinations, enjoy the onboard amenities and entertainment, and meet new people. But how do you compare cruise companies by size and what does it mean for your vacation? Size is one of the key indicators of the performance and success of a cruise company. It shows how many passengers and revenue the cruise company has in the cruise industry. It also reflects how much value and variety the cruise company provides to its customers and shareholders.
But what are the sizes of the leading cruise companies in the world? According to Wikipedia1, a reliable source of information on cruise lines, the worldwide cruise company market share in 2021 was as follows:
- Carnival Corporation & plc: 42% passengers, 37.1% revenue
- Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD: 25% passengers, 21.2% revenue
- Norwegian Cruise Line: 15% passengers, 12.8% revenue
- MSC Cruises: 10% passengers, 9.5% revenue
- Others: 8% passengers, 19.4% revenue
As you can see, Carnival Corporation & plc had by far the largest size among cruise companies, followed by Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD and Norwegian Cruise Line. These three cruise companies account for 82% of the global cruise market. They each own a portfolio of brands that cater to different segments of the market, such as luxury, premium, contemporary, and niche.
But what are the advantages and disadvantages of choosing a cruise company with a large or small size? Here are some of the pros and cons of each option:
Pros of choosing a cruise company with a large size
- You can benefit from the economies of scale and scope that a large cruise company can offer. You can enjoy lower prices, more discounts and deals, more choices and options, and more services and facilities.
- You can rely on the experience and expertise that a large cruise company has in the industry. You can expect high-quality standards, safety measures, customer service, and innovation.
- You can join a large and diverse community of travelers who share your interests and preferences. You can meet new friends, join clubs and groups, and participate in social events.
Cons of choosing a cruise company with a large size
- You may face more competition and crowding when booking or traveling with a large cruise company. You may have to deal with higher demand, limited availability, longer waiting times, and less personal attention.
- You may lose some of the uniqueness and authenticity that a small cruise company can offer. You may have to follow more rules and regulations, conform to more standards and expectations, and compromise on some aspects of your vacation.
- You may miss some of the opportunities and advantages that a small cruise company can offer. You may have to settle for less variety, flexibility, customization, and innovation.
Pros of choosing a cruise company with a small size
- You can enjoy more variety, flexibility, customization, and innovation that a small cruise company can offer. You can choose from more niche and specialized cruises, such as adventure, cultural, or wellness cruises. You can also tailor your vacation to your specific needs and preferences.
- You can experience more uniqueness and authenticity that a small cruise company can offer. You can visit more off-the-beaten-path destinations, enjoy more local cuisine and culture, and interact more with the locals.
- You can benefit from more personal attention and service that a small cruise company can offer. You can have more direct contact with the staff, receive more individual care and assistance, and feel more valued and appreciated.
Cons of choosing a cruise company with a small size
- You may have to pay more for your vacation when booking or traveling with a small cruise company. You may have to deal with higher prices, fewer discounts and deals, more hidden fees or extra charges, and less value for money.
- You may have to compromise on some aspects of your vacation when traveling with a small cruise company. You may have to settle for less amenities, facilities, entertainment, and activities. You may also have to face more risks, challenges, and uncertainties.
- You may have to deal with more isolation and loneliness when traveling with a small cruise company. You may have fewer opportunities to meet new people, join clubs or groups, or participate in social events.
Choosing a cruise company for your next vacation is not an easy decision. There are many factors to consider, such as the destinations, itineraries, ships, cabins, prices, and reviews. However, one of the most important factors is the size of the cruise company.
The size of a cruise company indicates how successful and competitive it is in the market. It also reflects how much value and variety it provides to its customers and shareholders. A larger size means a larger reputation and popularity among travelers.
However, choosing a cruise company with a large or small size has its pros and cons. You have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of each option and decide what suits you best.
If you are interested in learning more about the sizes of cruise companies and how to choose the best one for your next vacation, check out these resources:
- List of cruise lines – Wikipedia
- Largest Cruise Shipping Companies, Cruise Lines List | CruiseMapper
- Global: market share of cruise companies 2021 | Statista